Creating a New Graduate Degree Program
(Hyperlinked items below lead to the Academic Approval systems 'Definitions' page.)
This process should be used to request a new degree program. This process may only be used if UF is not already approved to offer the same degree program level (e.g., Master's, Ph.D.) under the requested CIP code. If UF is already approved to offer the same degree program level under the requested CIP code, then the appropriate request may instead be for a new major in an existing degree or a new track in an existing major. The proposed degree program must include at least one program major but may have multiple majors.
All degree programs and program majors must have associated Academic Learning Compacts and Student Learning Outcomes.
Approval for any new degree program begins with the following pre-proposal process (also see the Process Flowchart). The pre-proposal process does not use the academic approval tracking system. The criteria for evaluation of new academic programs include: the degree program description; the assessment of need, demand and institutional priority; the planning process and timetable, the curriculum and articulation, and institutional resources.
- Download and complete the Pre-Proposal form (.docx).
- Vet the pre-proposal through the college using email (do not use the academic approval tracking system below).
- Submit the pre-proposal to the Provost's Office. The pre-proposal will be considered by the Provost's Office staff and the provost will make a final decision. If approved to go forward, the degree program will be included on the university’s Work Plan.
Proposal Process Steps
Following approval of the pre-proposal (above), the proposal may be submitted to academic approval tracking. Note that any new course requests related to the program must be approved prior to this submission.
The academic approval tracking system will automatically route the request (including all accompanying forms and documents) to the following groups for approval and/or notification.
- Department (Approval is required from the Chair or other designated approver for the department that will offer the academic program, typically following review by the department curriculum committee.)
- College (Approval is required from the Dean or other designated approver for the college or unit in the preceding step, typically following review by the college curriculum committee.)
- OIPR (Approval of the CIP code is required by the Office of Institutional Planning and Research.)
- APAF (Approval is required from the Associate Provost for Academic and Faculty Affairs.)
- GC (Approval is required from the Graduate Council.)
- UCC [N] (The University Curriculum Committee is notified of the request.)
- FSSC (Approval is required from the Faculty Senate Steering Committee.)
- Senate (Approval is required from the Faculty Senate.)
- AA (Approval is required from Academic Affairs.)
- BOT (Approval is required from the Board of Trustees.)
- BOG (Approval is required from the Board of Governors.)
- AA [N] (Academic Affairs is notified of the request.)
- GS [N] (The Graduate School is notified of the request.)
- OUR (Approval is required from the Office of the University Registrar.)
- OIPR [N] (The Office of Institutional Planning and Research is notified of the request.)
- College [N] (The College is notified of request approval.)
- BOG/SUS Program Proposal Submission Form (.docx) - download, complete electronically, and save on your computer
- New Degree Proposal Worksheets (.xlsx) - download, complete electronically, and save on your computer
- Catalog copy - catalog-style description of the degree program, requirements for entry, requirements for completion, and a list of majors, minors, certificates, etc. (Word document preferred)
- Supporting documentation
- Include memos, emails, etc. from other units to provide evidence of the availability of courses that are required in the degree program and/or to provide evidence for support of the proposed program if there is clear or potential overlap or duplication of content.
Enter Academic Approval Tracking
When you have prepared the required documents, click the start button below to enter the approval tracking system (requires GatorLink login).
Process ID: #222
Page name: Degree_New_Grad_Existing_Type_State-funded_Residential
Page title: New Degree, Grad, Existing Type, State-funded, Residential