Creating, Modifying or Closing a Department, School or College

Changes to the name or structure of a department, school, or college are governed by the UF Constitution and Faculty Senate Bylaw 22: "Under the Constitution, the Faculty Senate approves any changes to the structure and character, including but not limited to forming, consolidating, transferring, closing and renaming, of the colleges, schools, and departments." In addition, such changes must be vetted and approved by the University Curriculum Committee, the Office of Academic Affairs, and in some cases by the Board of Trustees.

Prior to initiating any such changes, the college should discuss the proposed changes with the Associate Provost for Academic and Faculty affairs. Once there is agreement on the proposed change, the appropriate department (or college for college-level change) should create a proposal that includes the following:

  1. A description of the proposed change, the rationale for the change, any budgetary implications, and its possible impacts on faculty and students;
  2. A tally of the vote of faculty in the affected unit(s);
  3. A description of the input received from the appropriate Academic Unit faculty governing bodies (i.e., a college faculty council, departmental committee, or external advisory board);
  4. A statement of support from the appropriate Dean or Director, Vice President, and Provost.

The final proposal and supporting documentation listed above should be entered into the system for routing through the appropriate steps. Indication of support from the University Curriculum Committee and the Graduate Council, as appropriate, will be entered at the appropriate point in the process.

Process Steps

The academic approval tracking system will automatically route the request (including all accompanying forms and documents) to the following groups for approval and/or notification.

  1. AA (Prior to preparing or entering any documentation in the system, consult with Associate Provost for Academic and Faculty Affairs.)
  2. Department (submit documentation in to the system if a department-level change.)
  3. College (submit documentation into system if a college-level change. If a department-level change, approve.)
  4. UCC (Approval is required from the University Curriculum Committee.)
  5. GC (Approval is required from the Graduate Council).
  6. FSSC (Approval is required from the Faculty Senate Steering Committee.)
  7. Senate (Approval is required from the Faculty Senate.)
  8. AA (Approval is required from Academic Affairs.)
  9. BOT (Approval is required from the Board of Trustees if new resources are needed.)
  10. OUR (Approval is required from the Office of the University Registrar.)
  11. OIPR [N] (The Office of Institutional Planning and Research is notified of the request.)

 Click the start button below to enter the approval tracking system (requires GatorLink login).


Site Admin

  • Process ID: #213
  • Page name: Unit_New-Modify-Close
  • Page title: Unit, New/Modify/Close
  • URL: unit_new-modify-close