Creating a New Graduate Major
A new major may be created under an existing degree program. That is, UF must already be approved to offer a degree in that CIP code at that degree level. The new major must be reasonably associated with the degree program and it must share common core courses with any other majors in the same degree program.
The academic approval tracking system will automatically route the request (including all accompanying forms and documents) to the following groups for approval and/or notification.
- Department (Approval is required from the Chair or other designated approver for the department that will offer the academic program, typically following review by the department curriculum committee.)
- College (Approval is required from the Dean or other designated approver for the college or unit in the preceding step, typically following review by the college curriculum committee.)
- APAF (Approval is required from the Associate Provost for Academic and Faculty Affairs.)
- GC (Approval is required from the Graduate Council.)
- UCC [N] (The University Curriculum Committee is notified of the request.)
- FSSC (Approval is required from the Faculty Senate Steering Committee.)
- Senate (Approval is required from the Faculty Senate.)
- AA (Approval is required from Academic Affairs.)
- BOT [N] (The Board of Trustees is notified of the request.)
- AA [N] (Academic Affairs is notified of the request.)
- GS [N] (The Graduate School is notified of the request.)
- OUR (Approval is required from the Office of the University Registrar.)
- OIPR [N] (The Office of Institutional Planning and Research is notified of the request.)
- AAC [N] (The Academic Assessment Committee is notified of request approval.)
- College [N] (The College is notified of request approval.)
- Catalog copy - catalog-style description of the major, requirements for entry, requirements for completion, and a suggested semester-by-semester plan, prepared as a Microsoft Word documen
- Supporting documentation - memos, emails, etc. from other units to provide evidence of the availability of courses that are required in the major and/or to provide evidence for support of the proposed major if there is clear or potential overlap or duplication of content.
Enter Academic Approval Tracking
When you have prepared the required documents, click the start button below to enter the approval tracking system (requires GatorLink login).
Process ID: #216
Page name: Major_New_Grad_Residential
Page title: New Major, Grad, Residential
Form: Online Form ID 24