Creating a New Joint Graduate and Professional Degree Program
Departments and colleges may institute new joint degree programs from existing degree programs. Under the joint degree program, a student can obtain both degrees in approximately one year less than it would take to obtain both degrees if pursued consecutively. Professional degree programs are defined as JD, MD, DDS, VMD and PharmD. New degree programs that follow the minimum standards for admission and graduate credit outlined in the Joint Professional/Graduate Degree Program Form do not require Graduate Council approval.
The academic approval tracking system will automatically route the request (including all accompanying forms and documents) to the following groups for approval and/or notification.
- Department (Approval is required from the Chair or other designated approver for the department that will offer the academic program, typically following review by the department curriculum committee.)
- College (Approval is required from the Dean or other designated approver for the college or unit in the preceding step, typically following review by the college curriculum committee.)
- APUG (Approval is required by the Associate Provost for Undergraduate Affairs.)
- APAF (Approval is required from the Associate Provost for Academic and Faculty Affairs.)
- GS [N] (The Graduate School is notified of the request.)
- GC [N] (The Graduate Council is notified of the request.)
- UCC [N] (The University Curriculum Committee is notified of the request.)
- OUR (Approval is required from the Office of the University Registrar.)
- OIPR [N] (The Office of Institutional Planning and Research is notified of the request.)
- College [N] (The College is notified of request approval.)
- Joint Professional/Graduate Degree Program Form - download, complete electronically, and save on your computer.
- Memorandum from the college dean’s office introducing the degree and indicating the requested implementation date and the pedagogical rationale.
- Catalog copy - catalog-style description of the degree program, requirements for entry, requirements for completion, and a list of majors, minors, certificates, etc. (Word document preferred).
Enter Academic Approval Tracking
When you have prepared the required documents, click the start button below to enter the approval tracking system (requires GatorLink login).