Changing the Credit Hours of an Undergraduate Degree Program
This process should be used to change the required credit hours of an undergraduate degree program. This change applies to all majors in the degree program. Changing the required credits hours will typically also include modification of the curriculum for each major, and may also include modification of the eight-semester plan and critical tracking.
In accordance with the requirements of Section 1007.25, F.S., the Board of Governors may approve a request by a university board of trustees for a bachelor’s degree program to exceed 120 credit hours to degree. Programs may be approved for the following reasons:
(a) Additional courses are required to meet specialized accreditation standards for program content and such accreditation is expected or required for program graduates to become employed in the profession for which they are being prepared (e.g. Engineering, Architecture); or
(b) Additional courses are required to meet state or federal mandated criteria for professional licensing (e.g., Teacher Education).
(c) The degree program offers a unique and innovative learning experience, such as honors programs, individualized study, and other non-traditional approaches to education.
The academic approval tracking system will automatically route the request (including all accompanying forms and documents) to the following groups for approval and/or notification.
- Department (Approval is required from the Chair or other designated approver for the department that will offer the academic program, typically following review by the department curriculum committee.)
- College (Approval is required from the Dean or other designated approver for the college or unit in the preceding step, typically following review by the college curriculum committee.)
- APUG Review (Approval is required by the Associate Provost for Undergraduate Affairs)
- UCC (Approval is required from the University Curriculum Committee.)
- FSSC (Approval is required from the Faculty Senate Steering Committee.)
- Senate (Approval is required from the Faculty Senate.)
- AA (Approval is required from Academic Affairs.)
- BOT (Approval is required from the Board of Trustees.)
- BOG (Approval is required from the Board of Governors.)
- AA [N] (Academic Affairs is notified of the request.)
- OUR (Approval is required from the Office of the University Registrar.)
- OIPR [N] (The Office of Institutional Planning and Research is notified of the request.)
- CAT (The change will be entered into the undergraduate catalog, effective in the term approved for the request.)
- SASS (The change will be entered into the Student Academic Support System, effective in the term approved for the request.)
- College [N] (The College is notified of request approval.)
- BOG Reversion to 120 Credit Hours Request form - if applicable, download, complete electronically and save to your computer.
- Catalog copy - current and proposed curricula either in a side-by-side comparison or using the Undergraduate Catalog copy edited using the “track changes” feature in Microsoft Word. (Catalog Copy: Tracked Changes Guide)
- Supporting documentation from other colleges indicating availability of seats in courses that are affected by the change in credits
Enter Academic Approval Tracking
When you have prepared the required documents, click the start button below to enter the approval tracking system (requires GatorLink login).
Process ID: #179
Page name: Degree_Change_Credits_Ugrad-Pro
Page title: Change Degree Credits, Ugrad/Pro
URL: Online Form ID 44