Creating a Specialization
A specialization is an organized undergraduate curriculum that is offered as part of a major and enhances or complements the major in a manner which leads to specific educational or occupational goals. This process should be used to create a new specialization in an existing undergraduate major. Note that the terms specialization and track are synonymous for this process.
The academic approval tracking system will automatically route the request (including all accompanying forms and documents) to the following groups for approval and/or notification.
- Department (Approval is required from the Chair or other designated approver for the department that will offer the academic program, typically following review by the department curriculum committee.)
- College (Approval is required from the Dean or other designated approver for the college or unit in the preceding step, typically following review by the college curriculum committee.)
- UCC (Approval is required from the University Curriculum Committee.)
- OUR (Approval is required from the Office of the University Registrar.)
- SASS (The change will be entered into the Student Academic Support System, effective in the term approved for the request.)
- CAT (The change will be entered into the undergraduate catalog, effective in the term approved for the request.)
- College [N] (The College is notified of request approval.)
Catalog copy - catalog-style description of the specialization, requirements for entry, requirements for completion, and a suggested semester-by-semester plan, prepared as a Microsoft Word document.
Supporting documentation - memos, emails, etc. from other units to provide evidence of the availability of courses that are required in the specialization and/or to provide evidence for support of the proposed specialization if there is clear or potential overlap or duplication of content
Enter Academic Approval Tracking
When you have prepared the required documents, click the start button below to enter the approval tracking system (requires GatorLink login).
Process ID: #175
Page name: Specialization_New_Ugrad
Page title: New Specialization, Ugrad
Form: Online Form ID 25