Closing an Undergraduate or Professional Major
This process should only be used to request the closure (termination) of an existing major under an existing degree program (with a CIP code) if the degree program contains other majors at the same degree level. To instead close all majors at the same level in the degree program, follow the procedures for closing a degree program.
For example, the process below should be used if a degree program at the Bachelor’s level has two majors, and the intent is to close only one of them. However, the procedures at closing a degree program would apply if this degree program has only a single (Bachelor’s) major, even if there are other degree programs with the same CIP code at other levels (for instance Masters and Doctorate levels).
The academic approval tracking system will automatically route the request (including all accompanying forms and documents) to the following groups for approval and/or notification.
- Department (Approval is required from the Chair or other designated approver for the department that will offer the academic program, typically following review by the department curriculum committee.)
- College (Approval is required from the Dean or other designated approver for the college or unit in the preceding step, typically following review by the college curriculum committee.)
- APUG (Approval is required by the Associate Provost for Undergraduate Affairs.)
- UCC (Approval is required from the University Curriculum Committee.)
- SACSD [N] (The UF SACS Director is notified of the request.)
- FSSC (Approval is required from the Faculty Senate Steering Committee.)
- Senate (Approval is required from the Faculty Senate.)
- AA (Approval is required from Academic Affairs.)
- SACSD (Approval is required from the UF SACS Director.)
- BOT [N] (The Board of Trustees is notified of the request.)
- OUR (Approval is required from the Office of the University Registrar.)
- OIPR [N] (The Office of Institutional Planning and Research is notified of the request.)
- SASS (The change will be entered into the Student Academic Support System, effective in the term approved for the request.)
- CAT (The change will be entered into the undergraduate catalog, effective in the term approved for the request.)
- AAC [N] (The Academic Assessment Committee is notified of request approval.)
- College [N] (The College is notified of request approval.)
- Supporting Documents - Provide evidence of consultation with and support from any other affected academic units.
Enter Academic Approval Tracking
When you have prepared the required documents, click the start button below to enter the approval tracking system (requires GatorLink login).
Process ID: #177
Page name: Major_Close_Ugrad-Pro
Page title: Close Major, Ugrad/Pro
Form: Online Form ID 40