Creating a New Undergraduate or Professional Certificate
A certificate may be used to recognize that a student has completed a defined program of specialized cohesive study consisting of for-credit UF courses, and any other valid additional experience such as internships and international exchanges. Students may earn a certificate in a particular field of study within their academic major, or enhance their major by pursuing a program that complements their major or career interests. Certificates may also be used by non-degree seeking students to pursue personal and academic interests, and to enhance opportunities for employment and admission to graduate and professional schools. Completion of university-approved certificate programs will be noted on student transcripts.
All new for-credit certificates must be approved by the university and must include student learning outcomes and associated assessments. Refer to the Undergraduate and Professional Certificate Policies for additional information on the certificate approval process, curriculum requirements, and administration.
New for-credit certificates also require an Academic Assessment Plan (AAP) to be submitted for approval during the first semester students are enrolled in the certificate. More information on AAPs is at the Institutional Assessment site.
The academic approval tracking system will automatically route the request (including all accompanying forms and documents) to the following groups for approval and/or notification.
- Department (Approval is required from the Chair or other designated approver for the department that will offer the academic program, typically following review by the department curriculum committee.)
- College (Approval is required from the Dean or other designated approver for the college or unit in the preceding step, typically following review by the college curriculum committee.)
- OIPR (Approval of CIP code is required from the Office of Institutional Planning and Research.)
- UCC (Approval is required from the University Curriculum Committee.)
- OUR (Approval is required from the Office of the University Registrar.)
- OIPR [N] (The Office of Institutional Planning and Research is notified of the request.)
- SASS (The change will be entered into the Student Academic Support System, effective in the term approved for the request.)
- CAT (The change will be entered into the undergraduate catalog, effective in the term approved for the request.)
- AAC [N] (The Academic Assessment Committee is notified of request approval.)
- College [N] (The College is notified of request approval.)
- Catalog copy - catalog-style description of the certificate, requirements for entry, requirements for completion, and a suggested semester-by-semester plan, prepared as a Microsoft Word document.
- Supporting documentation - memos, emails, etc. from other units to provide evidence of the availability of courses that are required for the certificate and/or to provide evidence for support of the proposed certificate if there is clear or potential overlap or duplication of content.
Enter Academic Approval Tracking
When you have prepared the required documents, click the start button below to enter the approval tracking system (requires GatorLink login).
Process ID: #181
Page name: Certificate_New_Ugrad-Pro
Page title: New Ugrad/Pro Certificate
Form: Online Form ID 27